Transition Planning

Transition Planning for Life after High School for Students with Disabilities (IEPs or 504s)

“Transition planning” for students classified to receive special education or who have a Section 504 Plan typically refers to the steps to be taken and the goals and objectives to be worked on during the several years leading up to the student exiting high school through gradation or “aging out” at age 21. Regarding some “safety nets” for students with disabilities, Click here.

NYSED published an advisory memo (April 2017) on transition planning which is easy to read and very information.  You can download it here: services-for-students-with-disabilities.pdf

For the U.S. Guide on things to consider in transition planning, please click here:

If a student has an Individualized Education Program (“IEP”), many transition goals are reflected in the student’s IEP and addressed through the CSE and the annual and triennial evaluation processes. For each student the transition planning process depends significantly upon whether a student will likely pursue post-secondary education, employment or other experiences. For parents, students and staff, there are a number of considerations, decisions and action items along the way. While not intending to provide legal advice, SEPTA has developed some guidance and suggestions for parents to consider.

Under New York law, measurable post-secondary goals and recommendations for transition services and activities must be included in each classified student’s IEP Under New York law, measurable post-secondary goals and recommendations for transition services and activities must be included in each classified student’s IEP beginning not later than the first IEP to be in effect when the student is age 15 (and at a younger age, if determined appropriate), and updated annually.  To see what the IEP must include, click here

Student Participation: Students must be invited to CSE meetings when transition goals and services will be discussed.  If a student does not attend, the district must take steps to ensure the student’s preferences and interests are considered.  The school district must also invite a representative of a participating agency that is likely to be responsible for providing or paying for transition services.  Parental consent (or the consent of the student who is age 18 or older) must be obtained prior to inviting other agency representatives.  If the invited agency does not attend, the school must take steps to involve the agency in the planning of any transition services.

Source: NYSED Memo []

College Bound Students With IEPs or 504s

For students who are planning to attend a two or four year college program upon graduating from high school, transition planning includes goals and objectives on a student’s IEP, if any, as well as many other steps to be taken to prepare the student for a successful college experience.

• For information regarding how to obtain accommodations on the SAT (including SAT II subject tests), click here and for the ACT, click here. For info relating to accommodations on Advanced Placement courses, click here. Also consult with your MHS guidance counselor.

• For info on getting accommodations in college, click here.

College Transition Checklist

• For a Mamk “Tipsheet”, click here.

• Should the student be involved in planning and meetings? Click here

Resources for the college search

Scholarship resources and here and here

Alternative Post High School Options

Students who because of their disabilities or aspirations are unlikely to pursue traditional college paths, often have transition plans in their IEPs that emphasize employment skills, independent living skills and community-based experiences.

In addition, parents will have a number of important decisions to make as their child approaches adulthood and many of these, such as guardianship and access to medical information and decision-making are outside the scope of the special education laws and the role of public schools.

Students with significant disabilities have the right to attend school through age 21 and work to obtain a Regents diploma. In New York there are also several special “safety nets” and credential possibilities. Click here for CDOS Credential info and click here for safety nets and the compensatory option.

Click here for additional resources: